Today, I want to introduce a type of capsule wardrobe that you may have heard about before. It's called the 4x4 core wardrobe.
The original core four concept and strategy came from Nancy Nix-Rice who wrote a style book called Looking Good Every Day. Following her core four process leads to creating a 12-piece capsule wardrobe.
The Vivienne Files created a similar but slightly larger core wardrobe process that gives you a 16-piece capsule wardrobe. Her many lovely templates were the inspiration for the 4x4 process I am writing about today.
The 4x4 Core Wardrobe Process
(1) Choose a neutral color for your first mini capsule of four.
(2) Decide & purchase the four pieces you want to buy.
Which ones you choose might depend on your lifestyle. If you wear suits a lot for work, your best bet would be to start with a jacket, a skirt, a pair of pants and a top in your neutral color.
But a stay at home mom might choose two tee shirts and two pairs of leggings, or colored jeans, instead. Or one tee shirt, one pair of leggings, a casual dress and a cardigan.
(3) Repeat the process with another mini capsule of four, using a different neutral color.
(4) Choose accessories in those two colors, or try blends of the two in a scarf or other accessory. This set will be your core accessories capsule.
(5) Choose two accent colors that will coordinate well with your neutrals
(6) Repeat the process with them, choosing and purchasing four pieces for each color, and possibly adding a print that combines them, as one of your choices.
(7) Find a few accessories that match your accent colors, if possible.
This 16-piece capsule wardrobe will be your core wardrobe. Choose quality fabrics and sturdy construction, because ideally, these will be with you a long time.
Though you may create seasonal mini capsules from time to time, this core wardrobe will be your foundation.
Here's what an ideal 4x4 wardrobe might look like if I created one, using brown, ivory, green and burnt orange...
What do you think of the 4x4 concept? Would it work with your wardrobe?
See you tomorrow!
Here's how to make sure you choose
your best neutrals and accent, or pop colors
for your capsule wardrobe.
My mission is to help you discover, embrace and celebrate your own beauty and style.
Thanks for dropping by! I'll see you soon.
All 10x10 Challenge Capsule Guides Capsule Wardrobe Capsule Wardrobe Color Palette Casual Mom Capsule Wardrobe Celebrity Women Of Color Clear Dominant Closet Detox Color Analysis Color Analysis For Black Skin Color Analysis For Women Of Color Cool Dominant Daily Uniform Deep Dominant Fall Capsule Wardrobe Fashion Mood Board French Capsule Wardrobe French Minimalist Style Gamine Capsule Wardrobe Gamine Style Homebody Outfit Formula Light Dominant Loungewear Capsule Wardrobe Mini Capsule Mini-capsule Mini Capsule Wardrobe Outfit Formula Outfit Formula Capsule Wardrobe Process Outfit Formula Ideas Personalized Color Palette Plus Sized Gamine Capsule Wardrobe Plus-sized Gamine Capsule Wardrobe Signature Style Soft Dominant Spring Capsule Wardrobe Style Challenge Style Personality Tonal Color Analysis Virtual Style Day Warm Dominant Winter Capsule Wardrobe